Friday, May 23, 2008

Colorful Bell Pepper Rice


Having switched to brown rice on a regular basis, having a white rice dish once in a while is a treat for my husband and I...

I made this bell pepper rice yesterday with veggie kurma. I had bought red, yellow and green bell peppers to make paneer jalfrezi for some guests. In the end I changed my mind and cooked something else for the guests. So, I had the red and yellow peppers in my fridge and I decided to try out something new.

Bell Pepper Rice:

Ingredients:

1. One large Yellow Bell Pepper (finely cut)
2. One large Red Bell Pepper (finely cut)
3. 5 or 6 finely cut baby carrots
4. 1 to 1.5 cup(s) of white basmati rice
5. Finely cut half onion
6. Finely cut 2 cloves of garlic and half-an-inch of ginger
7. 2 cloves
8. 2 teaspoons olive oil
9. 1 teaspoon ghee
10. 2 spoons of crushed black pepper
11. 2 or 3 red chilles
12. 1 or 2 pods of cardamom
13. 1 or 2 spoons of salt (add according to requirement)
14. Half cup of frozen peas (optional)

Cooking Method:

1. Soak the white basmati rice in water for 10 to 15minutes.

2. Turn the rice cooker on and keep the setting to 'cook' and add 2 spoons of olive oil. (alternatively you can use a pan to cook this dish).

3. When the oil is warm, add cloves and cardamom.

4. Add the finely cut red and yellow bell pepper and fry for 2 minutes.

5. Drain the water from the soaked rice and add that to the rice cooker.

6. Add salt and add 2 to 3 cups of water. Adding excess water can cause the rice to become mushy. So, eyeball the amount of water just enough to soak the rice-veggie mix.

7. Turn the rice cooker setting to 'cook'. Now add the cut carrots, crushed black pepper, peas and red chilles to the rice. Rice cooks within 10 to 15 minutes. Make sure to not over-cook the rice, by keeping in 'warm' setting for a long period of time. Transfer the content to a bowl.

8. Add 1 spoon of ghee to the rice-mix to give it some more flavor. This is optional. The rice tastes good without adding ghee.

9. Fry finely cut onions, garlic and ginger and add to the rice-mix.

Bell pepper rice tasted great with veggie-kurma. I found the recipe for veggie kurma here. I added only 1 teaspoon of coconut for health reasons and still the kurma tasted really good.

6 comments:

mitr_bayarea said...

Na_an:
The bell pepper rice looks smashing. I will try this out soon. Thanks for the veggie kurma recipe as well, they probably made a great combo for your guests.

na_an said...

thanks Mitr :-)...

let me know if you like it after trying it.

Sachita said...

Na_an: "switched to brown rice on a regular basis"
Please put a step-by-step procedure how one achieves this mount-everestatic task?

Besides, the recipe sounds lovely and looks too tempting, more so because it is a one pot recipe. Saves the dishwasher load:)

mitr_bayarea said...

Na_an-

see my blog to pick up your award.

na_an said...

sachita,

Initially I tried cooking brown rice in the rice cooker and it was over-mushy, starchy and horrible, because I thought adding more water will make the rice less chewy...but now I microwave and it tastes great. It is chewy, but I like it now and overall tastes great with rasam, sambhar, curd and veggie. I have not tried it as fried rice, briyani, bisibela bath, pongal, etc....maybe I will have to soon!!

na_an said...

mitr,

like I said...I feel very honored and special to receive this award...thanks a lot.:-)..also it really feels good to get comments on my blog!! thanks to you and sachita for commenting. I hope I can hunt down some more commentors in future!!;-)