Saturday, June 21, 2008

Top 3 qualities

Everyone hates some qualities in others- be it dishonesty, arrogance, cheating, etc. It is often relatively easy to avoid such people, because you cannot envision having a decent relationship with them. But avoiding people who have only annoying qualities, but are generally good people, is very difficult. I am going to list such qualities of people, that I dislike and find extremely difficult to cope up with. The reason I am choosing to list qualities I dislike rather than like is because there are many qualities I like in a person and it is difficult to capture them as top 3. However, there are few qualities that really annoy me in people and I thought it would be easier to pen them down. Luckily my interactions with such people has been minimized greatly and I thank God for it.

1. People who dominate/control others:

These people are basically "control freaks". They generally like to control everything and anyone whom they can manipulate and control. They seem to derive some pleasure in doing so and often do this in order to feel important. People with this personality trait can usually be a pain at work. Especially if you work for them or work in a department that they generally dislike. I think the best way to deal with these people at work, is to just maintain your stance on what you feel is fair and not buckle down under pressure, as these people can be very forceful and demanding about what they want. If that does not work, just escalate the problem to your management or HR. When you encounter or have to deal with such a personality within relatives, it can be quite painful. They will have a say in everything you do and will often give you unsolicited advice. I have little tolerance to people who try to control me. Kids generally might feel that parents are the greatest control freaks, as they try to monitor and control all their activities. But, one adult trying to control another can be very traumatic to deal with. I try to avoid presence of such people in my life as much as possible.

2. People who have made bragging their habit:


Let me be honest here..everyone brags about something either intentionally or unintentionally during some point during their lives. I have no problems with that. I don't consider myself to be perfect either :-). But, there are people who make it a point to brag all the time. It is like a habit for them. Whenever you talk to them, it will always be about them - their kids milestones, their house, their car, their jobs, etc! I have read that people who are really insecure brag more than people who are secure..I am not sure how much of that is true. However, again I have little tolerance for such people. I do not have a good strategy to deal with such people other than to stay away from them.


3. People who are very verbose:


I am not talking about people who are generally talkative. I love people who talk a lot. I am talking about people who cannot stick to the topic at hand. For example, to say 'the color is white', they will generally say the 'color is not blue, not red, not purple, not black, blah, blah'. No matter how much time to give them they might not say the color is actually white. I find it extremely difficult to have a conversation with such people without interrupting them all the time. I find it very ill-mannered to do that, but it seems like I am losing precious time in letting them yap so much. Dealing with such people at work can be extremely unproductive. The effective strategy I feel to deal with such people is to just be direct and honest. Just say that you have something important to work on and will talk with them later. However, this is always not easy, especially if you need some information from them.

Now, I want to tag Mitr, Sachita and Priyamvada to write the top 3 qualities they like or dislike in people :-). Do it if you want to!!

2 comments:

mitr_bayarea said...

Na_an- very nice post and thanks for the tag, will get to it sometime. Loved your cartoons to go with each of your statements, made it more personable. Especially loved the bragging paragraph.

What a coincidence- I just tagged you on another tag before reading ur post and tag. No pressure, do it if you feel like it.

SASA said...

nice post and illustrative pics.
striking top 3z..of 'em i have had my take with the dominating type and boy, i had to struggle with such kind. Now, I seemed to have gotten the tact and probably don't care / give 'em a piece of my mind whenever possible.
while i work hard on being a good listener to people,the second type will push me to the limit.