Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Our Diwali Celebrations


I thought I will start off the blogging routine with a post about our Diwali celebrations. This Diwali was so much fun because this was the first Diwali I was at home after 7 years of being away from India and we had my husband's dad with us, so it was very special. I definitely missed celebrating Diwali in India, but I have been away from home for Diwali for so many years, that I don't remember the excitement and happiness that festival bought.
The day started off with nalangu, oil bath and wearing new clothes. I cooked the standard diwali cooking - more kulambu, rasam, vadai and payasam. We decorated the house with lamps and candles. We had our husband's cousin join us for dinner in the evening.

I have made medu vada before, but do not remember it turning out so well like yesterday. I got excellent tips from Vah Reh Vah youtube video. Check it out if you making medu vada.
Happy Diwali to all you bloggers!!:-) It is really fun to read other people's diwali celebrations.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Na_an,
Happy Deepavali to you and your family! Loved reading your post on how your celebrations went. Ours was very joyous too :) . Ate a lot of sweets as expected.... gotta start winding down again soon :)

Unknown said...

Sounds like it was ton of fun!

Priyamvada_K said...

na_an,
How nice to see a Deepavali post, complete with a picture! I have been out of India for Deepavali for over 15 years - and the longing is still as sharp.

Its great that you had extended family with you - father-in-law and cousin - to make the occasion special.

Priya.

Anonymous said...

A tad late...still will wish you a happy deepavali :)
and since halloween is around the corner...happy halloween :D
Vah reh vah is good :D. Same pinch on the vadas...I made ama vada on sunday and vada on monday as is tradition at my mums.

mitr_bayarea said...

Great to know that you cooked a grand meal and your vadas came out great. If there are still some left, I will come over the Dumbarton bridge right away.