Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Shopping with Dad


My dad and my husband are quite similar in many aspects, yet they have very different personalities. One aspect which my husband and dad are uniquely different are their shopping traits. I used to think my dad was unique when to came to shopping, because he loves shopping, especially with me, but I don't think thats true, because I hear from many of my friends that their dads were great shopping partners, while their husbands are not :-).

My dad used to shop clothes, jewellery and shoes for us whenever he used to travel to new places. I remember the time from childhood to teenage, my dad used to accompany me to all my shopping trips. He would scan the entire shop over and over again and get me clothes to the trial room to try. Dad would then patiently wait for me outside the dressing room to see what fits me best. If a particular outfit fitted and suited me well, we would be so thrilled about it, like we had won a lottery or something. The amazing part of this shopping routine was, my dad's tastes and mine were completely alligned. Many times, we would end up buying more than one set, just because we like it and endure the wrath of my mom at home. My dad is in his mid-sixities now and he is still very particular about clothes. After every shopping trip with him, my mom complains to me over phone about how she was tortured, while my dad took his own sweet time to decide on the clothes :-). I often smile when I hear this and relate to my dad so much. My husband can relate so much with my mom, as he gets really very impatient shopping with me.

My husband is like my mom. Shopping for them is a necessary evil, not a pleasure. There is no excitement in that process. While I eagerly look for clothes to try out, I always can sense my husband's impatience, like a child who wants to break free from the tight grasp of his mom to go play. After I try out and choose something I like, my husband would be happy like he won lottery (now, not because I found a good dress, but because he is free to go now :-( ).
I ofcourse miss my dear shopping partner (my dad), but I do appreciate my husband's tolerance levels. He accompanys me to every shopping trip, even though it is not an enjoyable process for him. :-)

9 comments:

Laksh said...

Cute post! I can imagine the whole shopping process cos my hubby is like that. Very patient and willing to find clothes that fit me and wait in front of the dressing room while I try stuff on. My dad on the other hand was a very practical. Here is the money go shop yourself kinds :)

Sachita said...

Wow, three posts, that's awesome N!
I don't know about husband but neither mom or dad weren't into shopping much, only friends of mine have enjoyed shopping with me.

So, lucky you:0

Unknown said...

Your dad is so cute.

Shopping overwhelms me. So my husband is forced into the role of being a shopping partner.

Anonymous said...

I am the I look, I like, I take types...don't even like trying out the clothes! My dad never comments says nothing, Just ready to hand the money over. My husband (well, legally he still is) actually was somebody who used to push me to try my clothes out, get the one with the right fit, right shade, blah blah..I am the impatient one who used to wander around with A while he tried his clothes on! A right now pretty much seems to have my style ;) but I guess it is too early to tell.

mitr_bayarea said...

My dad is sort of like ur dad, since he would come with me to most of my shopping trips and we would get along better than if I went with my mom, as we would disagree most of the time. These days, I too have become totally aversed to not shopping, I only venture out when I absolutely need to and even those times dear hubby tries his best to occupy himself on the i-phone while I try out clothes. Nice topic..keep em coming!

na_an said...

Laksh: Thats really sweet of your husband :-)

Sachita: Maybe you will end up with a shopping lover..who knows ;-)

Suman: I agree. Shopping in US is overhelming, thats why I need my husband's help.

Apar: Mom is like you. She does not like to spend too much time at the store.

Mitr: Your dad's like mine. Even I always disagree with my mom during shopping trips :-)

Deepthi Shankar said...

thatz a lovely post .. I havent shopped much withmy dad around ..

anamika said...

Good post. You reminded me of my dad - he used to be with me on all shopping trips in school times. Mom never liked to step out for that, so dad was with me. Our tastes started differing when I grew up and learnt stuff from friends about what is good and bad. Now, husband, is impatient if kids are with us, but if they are not, he could be a good shopping partner!I trust his taste! Thanks for the post and the trigger to think about all this!

Anonymous said...

Actually both my mom and dad loved shopping and they were my best shopping partners along with my chithi (my mom's younger sis). My husband really hates shopping, so it is like I go to the shop buy stuff and come; if I am a little doubtful, get his second opinion and make another trip to return it :)

Made me nostalgic - keep such posts coming, as Mitr said.